Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Homemade Dishwasher Soap

In an effort to buy less, use money more more wisely, and use more natural products I  decided to make my own dishwasher soap. I was previously using a dishwasher liquid soap called Eco + made by Palmolive but it was emitting very nauseating fumes and I couldn't even go into the kitchen when the dishwasher was running. So I did some research and found a great recipe that was made up of ingredients that I already had in my home so I did not have to purchase any new products. The recipe that I decided to make is as follows:

1 Cup Baking Soda
1 Cup 20 Mule Team Borax
1/4 Cup Kosher Salt
*fill the Jet Dry compartment with  white vinegar

I had read both positive and negative comments about this recipe. Some people had said that it left a cloudiness on their dishes because the recipe lacks citric acid while others raved about it. I have done three dishwasher loads with this recipe and I had great results. The white vinegar really does the trick but you have to remember to check the Jet Dry compartment every time to make sure it is filled all the way. I have to say that what pleased me the most was that I could not smell any fumes coming out of the dishwasher aside from a lingering scent of vinegar. I could hardly tell that the dishwasher was even running. I may decide when making a future mixture to add citric acid and see if there is much difference but I am pleased with the recipe as is!
Do you make your own dishwasher detergent? What recipe do you use?

No comments:

Post a Comment